Our practical how-to guide for timeless interiors
At FibreGuard, we always strive to create upholstery styles that are both timelessly beautiful with high level durability to match. So, of course we're fans of timeless interiors too! Today we look at what typifies timeless interior design style and how you can make it work for you in your home.
While trends will come and go, timeless interior design will never go out of fashion. An elegant interior featuring a neutral backdrop, quality materials and classic pieces of furniture has an enduring appeal. But how do you nail a timeless look? Let's begin!
What is timeless interior design?
Timeless interior design incorporates one or more of the following key elements:
- Quality materials. Natural stone such as marble or granite, grained woods and luxury fabrics will all stand the test of time.
- Classic architectural features. Details such as arches and decorative mouldings give longevity to a space via a connection with the past.
- Symmetry with balanced proportions. Sofas placed opposite one another or chairs positioned either side of a fireplace create a traditional look which is pleasing to the eye.
- Timeless furniture styles. Evergreen classics such as a chesterfield sofa or a refectory-style scrubbed pine kitchen table are unlikely to date.
“The materials and finishes you choose for your home have a big impact on its timelessness. Poor quality materials will look dated more quickly, and need replacing regularly which can add up. Always choose good quality finishes where your budget allows. Flooring, worktops, natural stone tiles and luxurious fabrics are always worth investing in. They can last for decades, and will always look elegant and timeless.” – Jess Hatcher, Founder of Jessica Elizabeth Interiors
What are the best paint colours for timeless interiors?
When it comes to creating the perfect backdrop for your timeless interior, a neutral palette is usually the best way to go. Traditional neutrals such as beige, grey, cream or white are perennially popular, and more contemporary neutrals such as putty or blush pink can also work with a traditional aesthetic.
This doesn’t mean bolder shades are to be avoided completely. Pops of strong colour can be used as accents in your scheme, or you can opt for a ‘colour drenching’ effect in which one colour wraps around the entire room. For this approach, it’s best to opt for shades with a connection to the natural world because they’re less likely to date. Think sage green, muddy brown or sunshine yellow.
Related Read: Our guide to decorating with neutrals
5 steps to achieving a timeless interior style
So how do you create a timeless look in your home? Just follow our simple tips…
- Focus on quality. Buy the best quality items you can afford for your home. Invest in luxurious, highly durable materials such as FibreGuard’s easy-to-clean fabrics.
- Keep things simple. Choose pieces with simple shapes and clean lines for an elegant, streamlined look. Buy less but buy better in terms of quality and style.
- Choose natural materials such as stone, wood and rattan which are unlikely to date.
- Go for a neutral colour palette to create a classic look that won’t go out of fashion.
- Combine old and new. Introduce antique or vintage pieces to link to the past as well as adding character, depth and visual interest to your interior.
“Juxtaposing antique finds with modern furniture will lift a space. A bold, antique brass pendant light will make a statement and catch the eye whilst an oversized vintage rug in muted colours will anchor a space allowing modern furniture and accessories to take centre stage.” – Clara Ewart, Head of Design, Kitesgrove
Choose FibreGuard's soft upholstery for timeless interiors
Timeless fabric choices such as velvet and linen are a great fit with a classic interior style. Patterns such as florals or stripes have been featured in stylish interiors for centuries, which means they will stand the test of time.
FibreGuard’s fabrics look effortlessly stylish and come in a wide range of colours, patterns and textures, from neutral weaves to timeless geometrics. Highly durable, FibreGuard fabrics are also stain-resistant and easy to clean. They have embedded stain-free technology which means any spills can easily be wiped up – a must for busy households!
Learn more about our impressive durability specs.
And while the thought of a white or cream sofa would usually strike fear in the heart of most parents, neutral-coloured seating is more than possible with FibreGuard. Our fabrics are easy to clean and durable enough to withstand the daily demands of family life.
Low maintenance, stylish living in busy spaces is the foundational concept of FibreGuard fabric. To us, it doesn’t matter if those spaces are residential or commercial. It doesn’t even matter if they’re on land or at sea, indoors or outdoors. What matters to us is that our upholstery fabrics are easy to clean: especially our white fabrics. - Are white couches a bad idea?
To sum up, timeless interiors are all about classic design styles, quality and simplicity
Combine neutral colours with carefully chosen antique pieces and beautiful upholstery for a look you will love for years to come. When thinking about timeless accessories for your home, choose items with a classic style for guaranteed longevity.
High quality mirrors, lighting and rugs with traditional designs work with any interior style. Adopt a ‘buy once, buy better’ approach which will benefit your bank balance as well as the planet.
The fewer items we purchase, the less junk ends up in landfill.
Ready to create a timeless interior in your home with high quality, durable fabrics? Contact us today to find your nearest FibreGuard stockist.